[Gocamino] Santiago Mexicano

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 07:42:42 PDT 2009

Hello you all,
You might remember that a large contingent from Santiago, including the Archbishop, Xunta representatives, Don Jenaro from the pilgrims' office and a lot of other people went to Mexico last fall. They went to the city of Puebla (very colonial, very beautiful and very close to the volcanoes) to a Xacobean celebration being held in that city, and then they proceeded to Guadalajara (another colonial beautiful city on the plateau of the central? mountain range, where mariachis and tequila originated) to inaugurate a new Santiago confraternity (the fifth in Mexico, I think).
The Santiago visitors must have been?impressed?by Mexico so much that the cover of the?latest Compostela magazine shows three pictures of Santiago on his white horse wearing Mexican hats, under the title "Santiago, un conquistador conquistado" (Santiago, a conquered conqueror).
If I knew how to do it, I would scan the cover and post it here, since it is really something to see. Failing that, you can see the pictures of Santiago in Mexican attire going to:

http://www.culturaspopulares.org/santiago/contacto.php

The three pictures on the cover of the Magazine, and the several inside, can be found there.

When the Spaniards conquered Mexico in the sixteenth century they invoked the help of "Santiago Mataindios" (Santiago, Indianslayer) in their battles. And when the Mexicans fought for independence from Spain at the beginning of the 19th century, they did so under the protection of Santiago Mataespanoles (Santiago Spaniards slayer).
So I guess that our Santiago is an equal opportunity warrior-protector.

-The beautiful Karlkirche (Charles' Church) in Vienna has a wonderful museum. In the museum there is a sculpted?image of Jesus riding the she-donkey into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and wearing a Mexican-looking hat. This is the only image I have ever seen of Jesus wearing a hat.- (The Karlkirche, also, is the only church I've ever seen with an elevator right in the nave that takes people all he way up to the very high cupola.? While the ride is hair-raising those daring it get a rare opportunity to see the cupola's paintings up close, and to wonder how the painters managed to carry on.)

Hugs!

Rosina