[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: July 25th, 2009

deb berman dberman101 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 07:01:58 PDT 2009

Hi,I found Bob's analysis of having the backpack with at all times most interesting--- and wanted to add something about the advantages and disadvantages pack-carrying versus pack transport. On my first Camino I tried both--- carrying my pack at all times as well as sending it ahead. For most of the Camino, my daughter and I always had our packs with us. It wasn't until towards the end, when my sister joined us, that I arranged for pack transport. My sister was almost seventy years old and had some health issues---the cardiac thing was the one that worried us the most. Also she had done little or nothing to train for the walk because she was determined to think it was just that, a simple walk.
When she joined us, we purchased some tiny day packs---kid's school bags really---and carried only the essentials---food, water, rain gear, maps, journal, personal papers, cell phone. Even though we plotted a much less strenuous course for my sister in terms of mileage, we still managed to overestimate her capabilities. However, because our packs had been sent ahead, we felt committed to the pre-planned mileage. We could see my sister was overdoing things, stubbornly trying to be a good sport. Towards the end of each day we would pass possible options for lodging and wish we had our packs with us. Instead, we pushed on, to wherever the packs had been delivered. Eventually my sister collapsed on the trail and had to be rushed to a hospital. She's fine now, except for the fact that she still feels guilty for "ruining" our Camino---which she didn't, but try and convince her of that!
For my daughter and me, after carrying the packs for weeks, it was a pleasant change to walk without the weight. We felt much lighter of course. But the trade off was frustration, of not having the freedom to stop and go as needed or as we pleased. Anyway, if we had kept our packs with us, we could have adjusted our mileage, stopping sooner each day, and perhaps accommodating my sister's needs better. Despite good planning, the human body can be unpredictable.Of course the key factors are to listen carefully to what the body needs each day and carry the lightest pack load possible!Buen Camino to all,Deborah