[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: July 25th, 2009

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 1 19:43:53 PDT 2009

Hi Lydia,

On another forum I recently got into the discussion of using the
available transport services. My first thought was that it was a great
idea and I felt that it was foolish of me to not have done that - at
least on the last couple of trips. But then I thought it through a
little further and realized that it would not be at all practical for
me. I ended up sending the message below explaining why (in far too
many words - for which I apologize):

In a recent message, I was extolling the virtues of having your
luggage transported from stop to stop and wishing that I had taken
advantage of that sort of service. Later I realized that I was
forgetting a few important items. The term "daypack" rolls off the
tongue easily and gives the picture of this light and airy thing that
you hardly know is back there. "Hey! Wait a minute!" my inner voice
calls out. "You carry more on your back on just short walks from your
house than a lot of pilgrims with full packs carry on the camino. Your
so-called daypack can be around 15 pounds and some of the folks who go
superlight are claiming 10-12 pounds."

What should be in a day pack?
Well, the pack itself for one. Mine is about 2 pounds, but I suppose
that I could go the route recommended by Grant and just use a fanny
pack.
Food? I would want enough for a trail breakfast and lunch and some
emergency supplies. It depends on the frequency of bars, tiendas and
such along any particular stretch, but it would be from 3-5 pounds.
Water? I often started with 3.5 pounds (1.5 liters plus the
containers), but that is a maximum. I wouldn't want to go with less
than 2 pounds.
Then there are walking aids - poles/sticks/canes/whatever. They are
not on your back, but your legs and feet carry the weight.
Camera, rain gear, windbreaker, towel and clothes washing equipment
for when you get there well before your bags show up.
Paper items like passport, cash, credencial, guide book and/or map,
dictionary, notebook, etc. None of them heavy, but they add up and
most people would want to have these things with them on the trail.

Now that I am thinking about the details, I would be hard put to
figure out just what items from my pack could be sent on ahead. Most
of the things I carried, I would want to have with me at trail stops,
not just at the end of the day. I am not presently at home, so I don't
have a copy of my pack list with me. However, the only things that
come to mind that I would be willing to be without for the day would
be my extra clothes: one shirt, two sets of underwear, one pair of
outer socks, several pairs of practically weightless inner socks, and
possibly my crocs. There was also a very lightweight down vest that I
would need only for the nighttime cold. I couldn't send my towel,
laundry supplies, and extra pants ahead because, if I got to the stop
before the other baggage arrived, I would probably want to shower and
wash clothes without waiting for its arrival. For that I would need my
towel, my laundry supplies, and, if my regular pants needed washing,
the spare pants (shorts in this case) to wear while washing the pants
that I wore on the trail. For hotel stops I could get by without
those, since I would have a towel from the hotel and would not have to
be dressed to do my laundry, but I would not want to be without them
at an albergue. Whoops - I just realized that I would also need one of
the sets of underwear and a pair of inner socks to wear after
showering and, every other day I would need the spare shirt and the
extra pair of outer socks. I doubt that I would be cutting my pack
weight down by more than 2 pounds and I would need an extra container
to use for storing those items for transport - some sort of light bag,
I suppose.

Some of the day pack hikers had voluminous luggage with changes of
clothes to wear for going to dinner in something nicer that the trail
clothes, but I was going strictly carryon-on only, so there were no
frills.

Well, by original comment still stands. There is no requirement to
carry anything on the trail that you are not going to need until
evening. For me unfortunately, there is so little that I would be
willing to do without until evening that I would be kidding myself to
think that I would have any advantage in having my luggage sent ahead.

Obviously, it is my own problem that I want to have too much of my
stuff with me all the time and not just for the night, but that is the
way it is. I did see some pilgrims with just a jacket or raincoat, but
that was mostly on the last 100 km, where there are plenty of places
to get food and water along the way.

Regards,

Bob S.