[Gocamino] Robert's back pain

deb berman dberman101 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:11:03 PDT 2009

Hi Robert,
I hope your back problem clears up soon. What an inconvenient time for something like that to crop up. After the previous knee thing, this may serve as a warning to be mindful of taking good care of your back while you travel, which I'm sure you have realized already. Those stretching exercises you mentioned are a great idea, as well as Susan's description of good body mechanics. Also, being careful when putting on and taking off your pack---try to avoid a twisting motion when lifting the pack up or down to put it on-- if you can set the pack on a surface (a table, chair or bed or a half wall) and back directly into the straps, pull the pack toward you and then stand up---much easier on the back than lifting the pack with one hand and swinging it around. Same thing in reverse for removal. This strategy may be helpful depending upon the nature of your back problem, but it sure saved a lot of wear and tear on my (aged, scoliosis-ridden) spine and spared me some pain and misery.
As you mentioned, the sitting and the long plane ride may be the most difficult part, but then you'll BE THERE--lucky you!
Best wishes for your good health and Buen Camino,
Deborah