[Gocamino] 1951 Camino de Santiago

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 07:26:05 PST 2008

In my wanderings, I happened upon a really interesting trip log. In the summer of 1951, Leon Degrelle made a solo passage from the Col de Ibañeta (just above Roncesvalles) to Santiago. You’ll see things through the eyes of a Spaniard walking the path we’ve walked, but without the modern accoutrements, camaraderie and crowds. Albergues? Quizás no. The Spanish Civil War was just a dozen years past; the country was very different politically, economically and culturally. The architecture was all the same but the Way had fallen asleep, to be rudely awakened in en el siglo XXI.

http://elcaminosantiago.com/PDF/Leon_Degrelle_-_Mi_Camino_De_Santiago.pdf

Buen Camino,

Grant

Grant Spangler