[Gocamino] Reply to thread 'Walking in April CAmino Frances'

Suzanne da Rosa darosa at sonic.net
Sat Mar 22 09:39:48 PDT 2008

HI Leslie,
I'm leaving CA on the 11th, arriving in san Sebastian on the 12th.  If not
too tired from all the travel and time changes, I will take a bus, if
possible to Bayonne where I will then take a train. Otherwise the train with
stops to st Jean.  - let me know when you firm up your travel plans.  This
is my second camino, the first I did with my daughter in 2003 -- here's my
blog, which I will keep up this time also:
http://caminopilgrimage.blogspot.com/

I'm walking alone this time.   Let me know how it goes with you - is this
your first walk?  I have some ideas about clothes/my packing list etc if you
want that info.

Regarding replies to my post, I have received several & here are the emails
they sent me:

>From Sil:
Hi Suzanne,
The best website for researching travel, weather, routes etc is Grant
Spangler's site at:
http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago/caminotraveltrainrenfe.msnw

The link shows that trains from San Sebastian to Hendaye take about 1/2 hour
and costs between 8 and 10 euro.

>From Hendaye to St Jean via Bayonne you will travel on the French rail
www.sncf.com to St Jean about 31/2 hours.

At the moment it is cold and misty with thick snow in parts right through to
Pamplona.  Please listen to the locals in St Jean and take their advice if
they tell you not to walk across the mountain.  Last year, on 5th April, an
experienced hiker from England died just 50m from the road crossing between
St Jean and Roncesvalles and three Italians were evacuated.
There will be many other pilgrims starting from St Jean and the other
pilgrim's forum at http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/  have created a
calendar where members have entered the dates that they start walking.  I'm
sure you will find a few there that are starting the same day as you.
Be safe, keep warm and take good wet weather gear!
Abrazos,

>From Glenn:
Susanne,
Last year I took the narrow gage RR across the north of Spain after my
Camino.   I ultimately arrived in San Sebastian where I stayed for a couple
of days.  Then I took a train from San Sebastian to Hendaye, where I caught
a train that went to Bayonne, There you can change trains to get to SJPP...I
think that there is also a bus from San Sebastian, but did not use it.  I
have heard that now there is a bus to SJPP from Bayonne.  I am sure that
others on this forum will have more details.  My trip from San Sebastian to
Bayonne was very easily made and inexpensive.
Glenn

>From Kelly
Take the bus to Biarritz & then the train to SJPdP.  The busses go across
the border, but the train will have to wait at the border for a French train
to pick it up. At least this is how it was explained to us last year.

Kelly