[Gocamino] Tapas in Santiago. Toe to heel pilgrims?

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 19:59:50 PDT 2008

Hello you all,
Except for extra-terrestrials, and most USA people, everyone knows that Spain won the EuroCup yesterday, after 44 years. I am personally very happy about it, and most friends and pilgrims that I know also rejoice at the euphoric joy of Spaniards after striving, trying, suffering and waiting with their national team for two generations.?. (Brasilians are also rejoicing on the grounds that the only non-native-born player in Spain's team is a dual-nationality Brasilian who has acquired citizenship in Spain).... Oh well!
Nevertheless, the septuagenarian coach (manager) of Spain's team, Luis Aragones, has announced on TV?that his, and his wife's, first order of business will be to fulfill a promise to walk the Camino as soon as possible.? Being that winning?"futbol" managers are in a par with the gods of Olympus, it is expected that Coach Aragones and his wife will be accompanied in the Camino by thousands in what is foreseen to be a "toe-to-heel" pilgrimage situation. Thankfully Sr. Aragones and wife will walk the Camino this?year.? The hundreds of thousands of other Spaniards who made a similar promise will have to wait?for their vacation-time next year, I suppose.

Also, yesterday the much ballyhooed Tapas contest began in Santiago.? 45 bars and restaurants are taking part?and "tapas tasters" get a "Tapasporte" that can be "stamped" at each of the participating?sites; the tasters can then?register a vote.

Well, I love Santiago..... and then some...... but a "tapas" place it most definitely AIN'T..... no way, no how.
?A would-be "tapas" place opened a couple of years ago on Franco street?, and it serves the sort of touristy pseudo-tapas fare that you can find in Vegas.? But those who really care for tapas should seek them?in Andalucia, of course, and, in a much smaller extent, even in Pamplona...... but in Santiago?.... Excuse me?

If you wish, I can share with you information about wonderful places to eat in Santiago for next to nothing..... While I'm not much of an eater myself, I have?friends? who relish food greatly and when they?have eaten there they've? been absolutely enchanted.

Hugs...... and Espanha:? Ole.

Rosina

ps. There are NO bullfights in Galicia. The only bull ring in the entire province is in Pontrevedra, and it is not used often..... not for bullfights-to-the-death anyway.