[Gocamino] Crowds in 2009?

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 09:25:30 PDT 2008

Hello you all,

The Spanish newspapers and the TV and radio commentators are literally bursting with the promises made by millions of Spaniards to walk the Camino next year if Spain wins the Euro Cup on Sunday.

Already tens and tens and tens of thousands who had made the same vow if Spain won the semi-finals yesterday, which it did…. handsomely (three goals to none), are bound to go.

As one of you pointed out, Spain had not won against Italy in 88 years, and they did so in the quarter-finals; it appears that such victory has thrown the entire country into a euphoric whirlwind.  Spain has never won a “futbol” (soccer) international contest before and they and have never reached as far as they have this year…. so I guess the country’s madness is understandable. -Even in New York City, the Galicians who own the restaurant across from where I live kept giving me and my friends bottle after bottle of “Cava” (Spanish champagne) on the house after the victory over Italy!-

The last Euro Cup in 2004 was won by Greece, and the very next year Queen Sofia, who was born and bred in Greece, walked the Camino (accompanied by about 300 government and army people); while she declared that the pilgrimage was in thanks for her first grandchild everybody knew better.

So, I guess the Camino might be pretty crowded next year.

Personally, I am heartily rooting for Spain…. And I was going to walk the Camino next year anyway.

Here’s hoping!

Rosina