[Gocamino] Walking in September

Amy Beckford missamy079 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:50:12 PDT 2008

Hi Wes and Rita,
My friend and I walked the Camino in July of 2007.  She was 61 at the time, and her main concern was also the potential lack of a bed, especially since we did not take tents either.  We had heard horror stories associated with July in particular, as many Spaniards seem to walk the Camino at that time.  Frankly, we only had one occasion when we even remotely had trouble getting a bed, and that was within the final 100km.  We never raced to get to the albergues, and often arrived around 4:00 in the evening.  After all, the whole point is to relish the experience!  When there was once a lack of beds, we simply walked another kilometer to a private albergue, paid a bit more for an awesome experience, and discovered the next morning that we had yet another option just a bit more down the road.  Frankly, we generally enjoyed the more expensive albergues (5-10 euros) much more than the municipal ones, as we were away from the crowds and in better accomodations. When I was sick for a couple of days, we paid for a hotel, which can again be done affordably, and I recommend this as a periodic treat, if you don't think you will get too spoiled. ;)  The Camino has trail magic, much like the Appalachian Trail, and I am confident that you will find that everything works out, even if you hit a snag.
Buen Camino,
Amy