[Gocamino] Walking in September

Wes & Rita wesrita at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 17:45:56 PDT 2008

Wes and I planned to walk the Camino last September and, just before we were to go, I put my back out (overdoing it in the garden as usual) and we had to cancel our journey.  We said we'd walk it next year and here it is, next year and we are planning to walk, starting in September from St Jean Pied de Port to Sanitiago and, if possible, on to Finisterre.

We keep reading on this site about the crowds and the difficulties in getting a bed in the albergues.  Since we are not young (Wes is 72 and I am 65) we will not be traveling quickly and will probably not be arriving early in the day at our destinations.  I am not into racing to get to the albergue in order to get a bed -- that seems to defeat the spirit of how we want to experience each day.

But what are we to expect?  We leave on September 9 and plan to start walking on September 11.  Are we unlikely to be able to stay in the albergues?  And what do we do if we arrive to find no beds available?  We will not be carrying tents or sleeping pads.  In fact, in order to do this, we will be carrying only day packs and we've practised reducing our load to an absolute minimum.  Are our only alternatives staying in hotels and inns, because that would be a serious financial hardship for us if that becomes a regular thing.  I'd love to hear from those of you with suggestions or ideas (especially those of you who have walked in September into early October).

Thanks much,  Rita