[Gocamino] Santiago propjects, other

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 08:43:38 PST 2008

Hello you all,

Today’s newspapers show in a (very nice) graphic form Santiago pilgrims’ statistics pertaining to 2006 and 2007; I think you’ll like the presentation.

Go to:  www.elcorreogallego.es/index.php?idMenu=130&idNoticia=255881

While the figures are correct the accompanying article continues to invert the male/female totals.

The work in the “casa del Dean”, that is, the building wherein the pilgrims’ office is located, will commence next May. Those of us who have been there know that the sorry state of the building, and the office, beg for restoration (the building is four hundred years old).  The purpose of the work will be to establish a waiting area, with seats, for pilgrims waiting for their certificate or Compostela, as well as a multi-service information facility for pilgrims seeking a place to stay, transportation information, etc.  The amount of 600,000 Euros (about 950,000 U.S. Dlls.) has been set aside for the work, and many Santiago associations and enterprises have pledged volunteered labor and materials.

(By the way, when I was in Vienna last week the Euro had climbed to $1.59 US Dlls and the expectation is widespread that it will reach 2 dollars by the summer.  Yet, the number of American pilgrims from those countries affected by the dollar’s decline (The U.S.A., Brasil and Mexico) continues to increase.  Go figure!

The Portico de Gloria in the Cathedral and its adjacent columns have been protected by a metal barrier for some time, and a couple of Galician Banks have undertaken the cost of restoring (at an estimated cost of 1 million Euros) Maestro Mateo’s priceless work. The good news is that, for the first time ever, the sculptures on the high part of the Portico will be viewable at eye level since those on guided tours will be able to climb wooden steps, erected for the purpose, to admire them close-up while the restoration work is in progress. The work will begin in May.

Also, the number of foreign pilgrims increased by 18% in 2007, while those from Spain went up 6%.  The largest increase was among German (and Austrian) pilgrims…. And, indeed, the enthusiasm among the Viennese pilgrims is something else, (and includes an upcoming “Pilgrims’ Ball”.)

As soon as I hear something about the suggestions that we sent to the powers that be in Santiago I’ll post a message.

Hugs!

Rosina