[Gocamino] King's 1920 classic now online

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:04:59 PST 2008

This was posted on the Santiago-Today Forum

The University of Toronto has scanned their copy of Georgiana Goddard King's
Way of St James onto the Internet Archive. You can read the 3 vols (yes, all
1700 pages) online or download them.
http://www.archive.org/details/wayofsai ...
01kinguoft<http://www.archive.org/details/wayofsaintjames01kinguoft>
(substitute '1' with '2' or '3' for the other vols)

As an art historian her descriptions of the churches are very detailed and
probably still perfectly usable, though the general research has moved on
since then. I particularly enjoy the descriptions of her own travels, on
foot, on horse/mule, and with the 'diligence'. The 1st chapter of vol 3 is a
description of Santiago around St James Day in what I assume was the 1915
Holy Year.

Sil