[Gocamino] [saintjames] New credential requirements, (message 1)

hme347 at aol.com hme347 at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 12:04:22 PST 2008

Even the "free" albergues (refugios) encourage contributions. The privately owned, Confraternity run and municipal refugios all charged something, albeit a nominal amount, as I remember similar to Youth Hostel dormitory charges.  There were very few, if any, indigent people that I encountered who paid nothing. And if they did, big deal!

The Compostela was regarded by most of my fellow pilgrims as a souvenir of sorts, not some special diploma, proof of faith or degree.  For the Church to impose rigorous rules and encourage people to lie to get a memento is downright silly.  What difference does it make what people have to say or do to stay in a refugio or get the Compostela.  As for the expense and efforts in making them available, the Church gets far more back from pilgrims and tourism in collection plates at refugios, cathedrals and churches.

I wish people would stop bellyaching about the small minority of travelers who are not pilgrims who stay in refugios or ask for a Compostela if they are not following some bureaucratic rules.  Peace.

Howard Mendes, NYC

Why does this simple practical and utilitarian fact appear to be so difficult to
understand and accept by some people?
It sure beats me.
Those who do not want to use the accommodation of the free albergues nor receive
the Compostela need not bother with the credential or any other requirements
established by the church, not at all.
I myself have never stayed in an albergue (because=2
0of a visceral need for
privacy and serious insomnia), but I have always wanted the Compostela, which is
produced and made available at the Archdiocese's expense and through its
efforts, and if. to get it, I need to comply with a simple request established
primarily for the benefit, and safety of genuine pilgrims, why in the world
would I want to bellyache about it?
Again, those who are not interested in the free use of the albergues or in
getting the Compostela can pretty much do what, when, and how they want to do
it.

You are, of course, quite right.  Jesus Himself said that "whenever and wherever
people meet in my name, I will be there".....
But the credential requirements apply ONLY to the Santiago Camino and those who
want to use the albergues and/or receive the Compostela.
Why does this simple practical and utilitarian fact appear to be so difficult to
understand and accept by some people?
It sure beats me.
Those who do not want to use the accommodation of the free albergues nor receive
the Compostela need not bother with the credential or any other requirements
established by the church, not at all.
I myself have never stayed in an albergue (because of a visceral need for
privacy and serious insom
nia), but I have always wanted the Compostela, which is
produced and made available at the Archdiocese's expense and through its
efforts, and if. to get it, I need to comply with a simple request established
primarily for the benefit, and safety of genuine pilgrims, why in the world
would I want to bellyache about it?
Again, those who are not interested in the free use of the albergues or in
getting the Compostela can pretty much do what, when, and how they want to do
it.
At any rate,  let me wish you all a very wonderful New Year,
with hugs!
Rosina
ps. The Science Section of yesterday's New York Times (Dec. 30) carried the
result of a scientific study that shows that people with faith enjoy longer,
happier and more successful lives.... just as we were told in school
when we were children.