[Gocamino] two Sellos per etapa

John Paterson nosertap at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 06:40:33 PDT 2007

That's silly Howard, and cynical. Placing a Compostela
within view is no more "sad" than the photo's in my
office reminding me of things that I love. Have you
achieved something of higher regard - or
accomplishment because your Compostela is gathering
dust?

Your pilgrimage must have been very different than
mine. I never felt compelled to "appease" the Church.
I found that it would be very easy to not get a
Compostela. But if I didn't, I'm not sure how that
would make the Church "change their attitude" for
daring to offer me one.

If you don't like the Catholic Church offering you a
Compostela, don't get one. That way you won't have to
tuck it away in a closet to prove to yourself that you
don't care about it.

It's amazing to me that folks who wouldn't dream of
entering Mecca, approaching the Wailing Wall, or
entering a Buddhist Temple making demands, feel a
sense of entitlement when it comes to all things
Catholic. The Camino, and the Catholic Churches
approach to it, is one of the most inclusive offerings
that you'll find anywhere. And contrary to the great
wailing and gnashing of teeth by those who both want -
and loath the Compostela, doesn't ask much in return.

John P.