[Gocamino] 2009 or 2010

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 14:41:02 PDT 2007

Hi Pat,
It would be easier for you to attend daily Mass on the Camino on 2010. During Xacobean Holy years churches are open most of the time?and services are frequent.? It seems to me that in ordinary years many churches in Spain in those little towns throughout the Camino have erratic opening hours and their services are held at different times. Even when services are scheduled,? they may not be held?at all, and sometimes they are held at times that might seem strange to us.??During the summer?one finds that some churches are having 10:00 and ll:00 p.m. Masses..... during the week!
Twice I've gone from Santiago to Furelo (at the edge of Melide) to see the hauntingly lovely crucifix in which Christ extends his right hand downward to help those of the foot of the Cross, after calling up
and being assured that the church would be open and services would be held only to find the church closed and no one around; fortunately there is a little rustic country bar around the corner, that seems to hail back to Don Quijote's time, serving absolutely delicious wine, bread and cheese, so that the trips yielded some benefit.
It is true that the year 2010 promises to be super crowded, but it is a very special year and somehow crowds don't seem to matter.? In Seville during holy Week the crowds are so dense that it might take an hour to walk the length of a block...... yet, I wouldn't miss going?for the world.
Regards,
Rosina