[Gocamino] Two sellos per stage

jethess777 at aol.com jethess777 at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 23:26:34 PDT 2007

...and how exactly is this going to weed out the "tourists" from the those walking with true intent?? To me, all this serves is just to create a hassle.? Yes, for the tourists, but it will be a hassle for the devout as well.? But then think of the impact on the system.? While I was walking one year ago, I stopped at the albergue north of Padron, essentially to use the restroom, but thought it might be a good idea to get a sello.? So I asked and this was the only place where I was just about rudely turned down.? And who was entering the albergue?? A bunch of young dudes who were dropped off from a van!? Go figure... I ended up getting a sello in a bar further along whe n I stopped for liquids and snacks.? I also missed getting a sello upon entering the albergue at Redondela.? It was a 30 km hike for me and a hot sweaty day, so I had taken about a 2-hour nap under a tree along the way.? Also stopped for breakfast lunch and dinner, rather than consuming snacks while hiking.? So I arrived at about 9:30 p.m. The door was shut.? Some other pilgrims, bless them opened the door for me after I spotted some gals hanging out laundry from the second story window.? Quickly grabbed a shower and fell asleep, but didn't getmoving on till 8 a.m. and the remaining pilgrims told me that the hospitalera had left, so missed her both in the eveing and the morning.? No problem because there was a bar across the street where I got the sello for that day.? You see where I'm getting out... Thius would make for many inconveniences to personnel along the route who give sellos just to be accommodating.? It would not stop determined abuses.? Seems that they only way to stop abuses is to have a letter from a clergyman to begin with before aplying for the credential.? Probably some other ways I have not thought of, but it seems that this current idea is ill-conceived.? And it's also wise to check tour operators who whiz people in and carry their luggage for them, while "guaranteeing a credential."? Seems like the governing bodies can do someth

ing about that.? If you've looked at the adds for some of these groups, the final photo is undoubtedly the group of tourist posing while holding up their certificate (I have to shake my head).?
'nuff said
-Joanie