[Gocamino] Via de la Plata

Jeff Stys jstys at unitedwayhouston.org
Wed Oct 17 12:56:30 PDT 2007

I just returned from two weeks on the Via de la Plata starting in
Salamanca.  I had done two weeks starting from Sevilla in December 2005.
I plan on the another trip to "finish" the final stage sometime in the
future.

During December albuerges were mostly open but I did not encounter
another pilgrim the entire trip.  Some nights were cold but walking
during the day was very pleasant.

On the October trip, there were approximately 5-7 pilgrim per night in
the albuerges. In a two week period, I only stayed in one hotel (Zamora)
and one private home.  There was good walking weather but did use a
sleeping bag several nights.  Most of the pilgrims had done the camino
frances or walked the routes in France or Germany.

The distances can be quite long between towns (35K) and the terrain can
be somewhat unvaried.  If you enjoyed the meseta, you'll love the via de
la plata.

I walked the Camino Frances in two different trips.  The Via was
different not only in the numbers of pilgrims and the terrain but I
believe that because of the relative rarity of pilgrims the local folks
were more welcoming.  My Spanish is fairly decent and I was approached
by more people who wanted to chat.  The accommodations ran the gamut
from luxurious to very basic but I always felt warmly welcomed.

Let me know if I can help out with any additional information.

Jeff