[Gocamino] A North American albergue on the Caminos

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 16:52:21 PDT 2007

This idea has been floating in the air for at least
three years. It was part of my original motivation for
moving here to Spain, and I understand was one of the
ideas behind formation of the American Pilgrims on the
Camino organization.

The more I asked around American circles, the more I
was told the time isn't right, for a large number of
reasons. So I became a hospitalera, and communed with
my fellow pilgrims and hospitaleros from several
countries, and studied up on how albergues are
founded, sited, and run. I tried to learn  the whole
subject, and tried to make myself useful while I
dreamed.

The reasons why a North American albergue is a nice
idea are, I think, self-evident.
The reasons why it's not happened are, I am told:

. North America is very far away from Spain.
. North Americans have so little leisure time and
vacation, compared to people from other countries.
. The dollar (both US and Canadian) is very weak
nowadays.
. There aren't enough North Americans "on the ground"
and "connected" in Spain to make the needed
connections with church and community authorities.
. Americans aren't popular in Europe right now, and
it's best to just keep a low profile 'til things
improve.
. Insurance might be expensive, and nothing is more
scary than an international liability lawsuit.
. There aren't enough trained hospitaleros to staff an
albergue.
. There's not enough money to secure and run one.
. Americans may draw fire from political crazies or
even terrorists.
. Who's going to be in charge of this thing?
.... and a few other assorted reasons others are
better qualified to explain.

It was frustrating for a long time. Finally, though,
this Spring at the American Pilgrims' meeting in
Virginia, the idea was given an airing amongst all
those attending. Ideas were thrown out and votes
taken; a committee is now, I am told, examining the
idea of taking on, staffing, and running an
already-existing donativo refuge or albergue somewhere
on the caminos, with oversight from the Spanish
Federation of Amigos, for a trial term of a year.

It is a fine idea, and I hope it works. I support it
fully.

Meantime, lots of North Americans are volunteering all
over the camino, and this American (now a legal
resident of Spain, por fin!) has a small "casa de
acogida" on the camino that's slowly happening without
any kind of organizational structure or support. We
Yanks have always been "do it yourselfers," y'know!

Rebekah, long-windedly

Rebekah Scott
www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com