[Gocamino] San Juan de la Pena

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sat May 5 09:42:04 PDT 2007

Hi Philippe,

In Jaca you can go to a tourist information office and they will arrange for transportation to San Juan de la Penha. The (regulated) taxi fare to and from the Monastery is, I think, 15 Euros which incoludes a stop at the church at the foot of the Mountain, a visit to the "new3" Monastery (350 years  old) atop of the mountain and a one hour wait for the visit to the o0ld monastery which is the glorious one carved out of the rock at the side of the mountain about twlve hundred years ago.
The ride from Jaca takes about half an hour or so.
On top of the mountain by the "new" monastery there is an "environmental" exhibit in an old building and nestled in the forest trees there is a bar.  Thoso who drive their own cars can only park atop the mountain  for limited periods.  While up there in the forest  there are what may be called "picnic grounds"  they are seriously and carefully regulated.
There is no parking, or standing, by the "old" monastery except to let people in or out of cars.
When I was there last year I learned that facilities were being built atop the mountain by the "new" monastery where visitors could spend the night.  They might be finished by now.
If one could spend a day or two in the new facilities one could walk down to, or up from, the "old" Monastery.
The view from up there is breathtaking where from the thick of the mountain forest the valley below can be seen, in all its grandeur and beauty, framed by the ice blue of the snow-capped Pyrenees in the distance.
The "old" Monastery, of course, in and by itself is worth being alive to visit.
As you will see, the capitels of the cloister columns have carvings with Biblical scenes, and the figures have supersized eyes..... justifiably so to encapture such beauty.
I have never visited anywhere a place that has touched and impressed me more (nor the pyramids in Egypt, the Wall of China or the Falls of Iguazu in South America) than San Juan de la Penha.
Happy those that will visit it for the first time!
I'd suggest that you make an arrangement through the Jaca tourism office to be taken to the Monastery in the morning and be picked up in the evening.
Regards,
Rosina