[Gocamino] Albergue ANFAS en Estella

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 10:30:07 PDT 2007

In Navarra there is the city of Estella on the Camino de Santiago. Estella
has several albergues, the one in the center of town is good but often in
overflow. The polideportivo is on your left as you exit from town, and not
close to anything. Then there is ANFAS, the Asociación Navarra en favor de
las personas con discapacidad intellectual.

I had walked faster than my Camino companions, and arrived in Estella about
a half hour earlier than they (my lack of blisters). I was waiting on the
grass near the river when Luis, a volunteer for ANFAS approached me and
asked if I would like to try their albergue. Knowing the alternatives, I
thought it would be good to give it a try. Very nice. The facilities are
well-kept by the volunteers and those they care for. It’s humbling to be
taken care of by special needs people, and they do such a good job of it.
The kitchen even had pot and pans (!) so we cooked both our own dinner as
well as breakfast. Also plenty of rather roomy showers, built to accommodate
wheelchairs. So here’s the YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKOkqiIvjI

As you pass through Estella, please consider them, I believe you will find
it a very good thing.

ALBERGUE ANFAS ESTELLA
Calle Cordeleros 7, bajo
ESTELLA (Navarra)
+34 680 459 798
+34 695 895 551
+34 948 554 551
rzestella at anfasnavarra.org

Heading out – make sure you take the ‘left hand’ Camino passing through the
Bodegas Irache. Nothing like water and wine to assuage the pilgrim palate.

Buen Camino,

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com