[Gocamino] Le Puy route

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 22:05:34 PDT 2007

A few suggestions:

Be sure to have the latest (i.e. 2007) edition of Miam Miam Dodo. My
2004 edition was definitely out of date. If you don't have one ahead
of time, you can buy one just about anywhere. I saw them for sale (16
Euros) in Tabac shops, tourist offices, book stores, and elsewhere.

Book well in advance. This year the traffic has been very heavy and
sometimes it was necessary to reserve as much as 5 days in advance.
It is not just a pilgrim route. There are many people on the route,
especially groups. There are even a lot that are going in the
opposite direction — not returning from a pilgrimage, just taking the
GR 65, often as part of a loop that involves one or more of the other
GRs. The groups often have vehicle support. Some people have the
entire route booked in advance.

Keep a record of the time and date that each booking was made and, if
some one else has done the booking for you, the name, position, and
location of the person that did the booking for you. I had the
unfortunate experience of being told that there was no record of a
reservation having been made. This happened on a couple of occasions.
If you speak French well and can do your own bookings, make sure that
you get the name and position of the person taking the call.

Test your rain gear ahead of time in the shower. I thought that I had
an adequate waterproof pack cover and raincoat, but they both leaked
like sieves. Fortunately the rain pants, from North Face, were great.

Be prepared for lots of rain and mud. Hopefully it will have cleared
up and dried up by the time you get there, but May and early June
were very wet and the mud was a real hazard just about every day.
(The pilgrim grapevine reported a broken leg on the notorious descent
from Rochegude and a set of broken teeth on another steep descent.) I
walked for four weeks, but with two weeks to go before my flight, I
gave up after walking from LePuy to Condom. Compared to the LePuy
route, the camino Francés is a leisurely stroll in the park.

Don't place complete confidence in Transbagages. I have heard a lot
of good reports about them, but the grapevine had a few horror
stories as well — mostly about bags arriving at a very late hour. If
you decide to ride with Transbagages on any particular stage, try to
book it as early as possible or you might have a long wait.

Bob S.