[Gocamino] Convicted ones on the Camino

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 06:55:35 PDT 2007

Hello Cherie,
If your husband is in good health I shouldn't think he'd have any problems going up to O'Cebreiro; many pilgrims of his age, and older, do it every day. Most, however, send up the backpack ahead and carry nothing. That would be my advise, and, also, that he shouldn't push himself, take as many rest breaks as his body may need and lean heavily on his walking stick.
Regards,
Rosina

I've been a silent aficionada of the Gocamino missives, yours as well as others, for several months, having "discovered" or been led to it via the association of American pilgrims on the Camino. Our family has been intimately intertwined with two in Madrid for over 40 years, we've even walked the Camino together. As I type, my husband is between Villar de Mazarife and Astorga, making his first Camino at the age of 62. Other than having both pair of his quick dry underpants stolen, (in the abergues in Roncesvalles and maybe Hortanas), an experience I don't think I've seen mentioned, I believe he's having the "time of his life". On 20 June, I'll meet him in Ribadiso, where the ashes of my godson (Alvaro Saez de Montagut Revenga, 1980-1997) were spread -- that date will mark the 10th anniversary of his death.

My reasons for jumping in at this point are two-fold:
1. Please do include me with any Sevilla information. We have a home in Fuengirola, will be in Carmona the first week in July, and I first experienced Holy Week and La Macarena in Sevilla in 1966.
2. My husband has heard many warnings about the ascent to O'Cebreiro. He wants to take the "spiritual", more rugged ruta, but is wondering what might be so dangerous. He's in excellent condition. He started in St. Jean on 18 May and doesn't even have a hint of a blister, and he's only carrying 15 pounds.

The question in all of this: Does anyone have any opinions, tips, advertencias, encouragements, regarding Villafranca upward? I'd love to able to pass them on to him in the next day or so. I'll soon be leaving DC for Malaga and won't have access to this email address as readily as I do now.

I'm so hoping the botafumeiro will be up and swinging by Sunday the 24th -- there's nothing quite like it! I first saw it in 1966 and again in 1968 on el dia de Santiago -- now that was a celebration (including the no-holds-barred fireworks) I'll never forget.

Thanks to all of you for your fascinating input. You make this a living camino as well!

Ciao -- Cherie