[Gocamino] Santiago Archdiocese news

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 09:46:35 PDT 2007

Hello you all,
The, just arrived, latest edition of the Compostela (The Archconfraternity publication) reports on the new"end-of-pilgrimage" activities in the Cathedral, which are sort-of-equivalent to the Pilgrims' Blessing that precedes the commencement of the pilgrimage:
On Saturdays, at nine p.m., there are pilgrim "reunions" at the Cathedral where those who have completed the pilgrimage may recount their experiences, verbalize their emotions and accompany other pilgrims in prayer if they wish. There is a multilingual priest, or monk, present to speak with the pilgrims about the pilgrimage, and another priest, usually Don Jenaro to conduct prayers.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 10 p.m. in the Pilar chapel (?) of the Cathedral, there will be services to relive Camino emotions, to pray and to receive a "so-long, forever a pilgrim" blessing.
Pilgrims are encouraged to share their feelings in these services.

Pilgrims information may now be accessed directly (bypassing the Archdiocese's Webpage) by going to www.peregrinossantiago.es  (careful, two ss). But there is nothing much in it yet, other than what appears on the Archdiocese's webpage, however, there are plans to enlarge it and it does give access to maps, advise, guides and other forms of information. The initiator of the site is Don Juan Jose Cebrian Franco, and thereby hangs a tale:
Both Don "JuanJo" and his brother Don Jenaro, (who is in charge of pilgrim affairs for the Cathedral) are priests and possess several PhDs from sundry universities. They were both professors at the Diocesan University in Rome and in several seminaries, but (strangely, and, in my view, unwisely.... my two very best teachers in Law School were in their nineties) it appears that the Catholic church has a mandatory retirement age from structured duties of 75 years (The Pope, I think, can override it in the case of Cardinals, except that Cardinals beyond a certain age cannot vote for a new Pope and that rule is carved in stone).
Anyway, both Don JuanJo and Don Jenaro had to retire from teaching a few years ago, but while Don Jenaro seems to possess the classic priestly temperament (a la Barry Fitzgerald in "Going my Way"), to the extent that he refused a bishopry at one time in favor of simple priestly duties, Don JuanJo seems cut from a different cloth. He has written about 30 books about the Camino and zillions of pamphlets and articles, and now seems to want to route his undiminished energies through electronic highways.
At the Cathedral one often sees Don Jenaro celebrating Mass or hearing confessions, but I have never seen Don Juanjo in the Cathedral, let alone as a celebrant. He does have an office in the Archdiocese building abutting the Cathedral in Azabacherias Square.
I don't know too much about computers.... in fact, I know next to nothing, but it would appear that so prolific an intellectual mind such as Don JuanJo's, and the technical protocol of the  world of computers might get in the way of each other.  (I once asked him a four words question by e-mail and he sent me a three-page response!).
By the way, the word "Don" is meant to signify "priest", (Dom in French, like in the case of that blind one, a long time ago, who was combining wine grapes in the cellar of this monastery and discovered that one can "drink stars" ... dear father Perignon).
The magazine contains much more interesting and moving information which I will post later
As far as pilgrims' data, it looks like we can only get it piecemeal now and then until the pilgrims' web page is perfected.)

Hugs!

Rosina