[Gocamino] camino blues??

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:09:38 PDT 2007

I too was very "dazed and confused" after my first Camino.  I dreamt about
various stages of the Camino every night for weeks.  The big change for me
was a passion my friends and family call an obsession with the Spanish
language, which I did not know before walking the Camino.  Two years later I
walked it again.  My experience on the second walk was entirely different.
I felt like I was filling in "holes" ...looking at the Camino in a different
way and my understanding became more complete.  Knowing more of the language
of course helped.  I still have this hunger for knowing more about the
Spanish language and Spain in general...and I know I will return.  I am
fortunate to have a loving and understanding family, but it still takes me
some time to get through the guilt feelings of leaving them again for
several weeks.  My wife does not have the freedom in her work that I have,
and although I have spiked her interest in Spain, she is not inclined to do
the pilgrimage...yet.   I don't know how much of the Camino experience is
due to Spain, how much is because you are out in nature for hours at a time
for days on end with some truly stunning landscapes, or how much is due to
walking in solitude, which seems to be such a rare commodity in modern
times.

Anyway...I have found a very interesting book on Spanish history you may
want to check out.  It is called "Ghosts of Spain...Travels Through Spain
and Its Silent Past" by Giles Tremlett.  Because I knew a little Spanish
this time, I got to meet and talk with some Basque and Catalans and they got
me interested it learning something about the Spanish Civil War, which is
covered in this book.

The feeling of being haunted by the Camino binds pilgrims together, but
separates us from others who cannot really understand this feeling no matter
how much they try.

Glenn