[Gocamino] The Camino in Austria

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue Jan 16 02:24:41 PST 2007

Hello you all,
There is much attention paid to the Camino in Austria with lots of books, documentaries and lectures about it.
The Camino here is called "Jakobsweg", and the scallop is called "Jacobsmüschel" (no kidding!). The Via de la Plata is called SilBerstrasse, the French  Camino Frankenweg, and the extension to Fisterra Küstenrouten, and so on.
I just don't understand the Viennese: they are as much wings-on-the heart, party-loving, heaven-may-care as the Brasilians..... and yet, these music-mad, champagne and beer drinkers, chocolate cake and sausage eaters, non-stop waltzers and organizers of parties at the drop of a hat or the feeblest excuse, are super organizers and incredibly efficient.
The Camino in Austria is so organized that it almost loses some of its character. The guides have aerial views of each segment, and all relevant information as to altitude, places to eat, WCs, intersecting roadways and what-have-you. The guides also give you, in hours, the time it would take to traverse each segment, both for pilgrims on bicycle or those walking.
There are 30 segments in total, and 30 albergues. The Camino begins at a place called Wolfstahl, which is three stages before Vienna. Most of the albergues are in parish houses. The one in Vienna  is at the parish house of the Dr. Karl-Lueger (?) GedachtnisKirche, which is a structure going back several hundred years and very beautiful. Fourteen  segments, and albergues, later, including several in the WienerWald (Vienna Woods) pilgrims reach Salzburg, which means that pilgrims go through the alps. Six stages later pilgrims reach Innsbruck, and after six more they get to the last albergue in Austria  which is in an alpine town called FeldKirch. From there, pilgrims cross öntö   Switzerland on their way to France and Spain.
Most pilgrims, I'm told, go on bikes, (...how anyone can cross the alps on a bicycle is beyond me), but many go on foot.Because the albergues are in the parish houses, most Santiago pilgrims are given supper and a hearty breakfast before they set off.And, yes, there are yellow arrows and shells showing the Jakobsweg.

I've more to tell about it, but will do so in another message.

Meanwhile, a hearty hug from Vienna where, thank heavens!, it is finally getting cold.

Rosina