[Gocamino] New to the list

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 14:36:33 PST 2007

Lori,

I would have to agree with Renato on the perceptions of Americans abroad.  I
myself am American, but I have many family connections in Germany and speak
German.  My first time outside the country was in the early 1970s, when  I
actually lived in Germany for 2 years.  I was amazed at the difference in
world views of Americans and Europeans.  I wisely was advised to be polite
and listen with an open mind.  It was an education that was more important
than my college experience.

When I first walked the Camino in 2005, I too had the impulse to pretend to
be Canadian, but resisted that.  I took my relatives advice given long ago
and was polite humble, and open minded, and respectful of other ways of
looking at life.  At the end of the Camino many people said that I was the
first American they met that they enjoyed being with. I took that as a
compliment.  (But also it is a statement of how far we have to go to improve
our image).

Be informed on world events.  I was asked 2 years ago, "why don't Americans
care about Global Warming and the environment",  and of course I was asked
about the War.  Europeans seem to appreciate a good discussion, and someone
that listens as well as talks.  If you don't know much Spanish, at least
learn the courtesies like Please, Thank you, and Hola!!! and smile a
lot....smiling is the universal language.

You will have a great time and meet wonderful people!!!