[Gocamino] New to the list

Jethess777 at aol.com Jethess777 at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 22:28:28 PST 2007

Howard, I totally agree!

     During my camino trip, I found no problems with being an American.
While I did not advertise it loudly, most would figure that out, as my Spanish
has a decidedly American accent.   They asked questions, certainly, and seemed
very curious about what my opinions were.   I considered that I was in the
position of being an ambassador for my country and was very respectful.   I never
felt that I ...or my country ... was 'on trial.'   They seemed only to want an
honest sharing of ideas and the topics were very diverse from health care
approaches, to treatment of disaffected youth, to the recent sex scandals in the
Catholic Church to why I was on the camino to begin with, etc., etc.

     I've traveled extensively in France as an independent traveler at least
eight times and never had to pretend to be other than an American.   Despite
all the bad press about the French not liking us, I can honestly say that most
of the French we met could not have been more charming!   If they didn't like
our government, they were quick to say that they didn't like theirs either.
We actually heard this comment!   So it goes to prove that they are bright
enough not to lump us together and think of us as 'Ugly Americans' or have any
negative opinion of us as individuals when it isn't warranted.   I consider a
good many Europeans that we have met as our friends and enjoy repeat visits.

     I will agree with other comments that if one is attempt to do a camino,
one should do quite a bit of preparation for it.   This includes physical
training and building stamina, experimenting with equipment and deciding what
works best for you and also to learn the language.   I know that there are those
who have done the camino without speaking a word of Spanish and certainly it
can be done, especially on the French route during "high season" when there are
bound to be other English speakers, BUT, my feeling is that this is rude.
Any effort at speaking the language is a plus, especially as an independent
traveler.   It really puts others out to see to your needs when you can't come at
least halfway.   Another thing is to be respectful of the land.   It was
offensive to see litter left by pilgrims when there are ample large green trash
bins along the route.   The lids can easily be lifted with the end of your
walking stick if you don't want to handle the lid.   Part of spirituality should
include a desire to return the earth as close to how God made it and preserve it
that way!

Amen
Joanie