[Gocamino] Fwd:  A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

Jeff Stys jstys at unitedwayhouston.org
Wed Dec 12 07:53:57 PST 2007

I've always interested in the discussion on the list serve.  I've only posted a few times in the past few years, but Patricia's story inspired me to share my shell story.

It was my second time walking a section of the Camino Frances.  I realized I had some unused vacation time at the end of the year so I decided to spend a few weeks walking from Pamplona to Leon.  I was a bit worried about a Winter Camino but I got some great advice from the folks on the list serve.

It had been a long day of walking when I reached Burgos, the long walk in on the main road left my feet aching.  I wasn't in the greatest of moods when I arrived and became very indecisive.  "Should I stay or keep walking?"  I just couldn't decide.  I came across a large albuerge - it was set somewhat in a city park.  It seemed nice and I decided to stop. When I got there I had one of those quintessential camino experiences that has stuck with me for a long time.  The hospitalero was so happy to see me.  He was about to eat his lunch (lentils and homemade chorizo) and insisted that I joined him.  There had not been many pilgrims in the past few days and he was missing talking and visiting.

We spent the afternoon eating and talking.  He told me how a maritime accident led to him being disabled and confined to a wheelchair.  Later in the afternoon a Spaniard who had walked with his german shepard (named Lobo, I'm a dog nut)arrived.  We sat and drank coffee, wine and scotch until the early hours.  The next morning the hospitalero greeted me with all the information I needed to make it to the next albuerge.  As I was leaving, he gave me a scallop shell that had been painted by developmentally disabled children of Burgos.  As a walked out of Burgos, a light snow started to fall and I was very happy to continue on the way of my winter camino.

My scallop shell hangs in my living room.  I have since done two different stages of the Via de la Plata but my evening in Burgos will always be one of my fond memories of my pilgrimages.

Jeff
Houston, Texas