[Gocamino] Telling the real guide books from the less well informed ones

BETWIL at aol.com BETWIL at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 21:44:07 PST 2007

Re: "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago - The Complete Cultural Handbook  by
David
Gitlitz & Linda Kay Davidson". Gitlitz studied in graduate  school with one
of my Spanish department colleagues and she speaks highly of  him.  This new
book is obviously not nearly as scholarly or correct.

Gitlitz and Davidson took groups of students on the camino annually for a
number of years.  They have been boots on the ground in Spain  and are reputable
scholars to boot.

Walter Starkie not only walked the camino but also did a fine modern
translation of Don Quijote.

I am a guidebook nut and have what Hemingway called a bs detector. Ask me
about my pre-World War I
Baedeker collection.

Beth Williamson
Sam Houston State University