[Gocamino] Fwd: A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

Pat Rush PatRush1 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 4 07:42:22 PST 2007

I too am puzzled by the "badge of the cockle shell."  Many pilgrims buy the
large scallop shells for sale along the way to fix to their packs; these are
even available in France, along the Via Podiensis, which is also a sport
trail, the GR65.  (Many of the shells for sale have the cross of St. James
painted on them, the one that ends in a sword.  I did not indulge myself in
that particular piece of historical militarism.)  I did not receive a shell
when I presented my credentials in Santiago and received the Compostela; I
have never heard of anyone who has.

Patricia, upstate New York