[Gocamino] Of bags and books

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:05:08 PDT 2007

I'd like to say hello to two unique people in our virtual albergue, Machi
and Bob.

Machi harkens from the far southern reaches of the Americas: Patagonia. What
many of you might not know is that Machi is our barefoot pilgrim. I walk
barefoot much of the time here in California and am a proponent of sandals
on the Camino, but Machi walked the Camino Frances barefoot. Now there’s one
way of avoiding blisters! I go barefoot in uncompacted beach sand to toughen
my feet for peregrination. Machi just does it barefoot. My hat’s off to the
great bootless one. Read (in English) and observe the unshod Pilgrim in
action: http://www.barefooters.org/gallery/pilgrimage/index.html .

Bob Ward is from the opposite side of the Americas, Canada. I had the
pleasure of walking into Santiago with Bob in 2004. His recent book is just
the latest installment of several he has penned. It has not quite arrived in
Amazon.COM, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S0WB9U , but does exist on
Amazon.CA  http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0887622526 , go figure. All Yanks need to
head north to the Canadian Amazon to get their Camino fix. In the mean time,
look at his Website and meet Bob, our notepad wielding observer of the
Pilgrim Condition http://www.robertward.ca . Well done, Bob. See you next
round.

Buen Camino,

Grant