[Gocamino] sleeping bags

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 08:13:43 PDT 2007

I have been using my silk sleep sack over the last decade in about a dozen
countries. It fares well in three seasons, and the weight is next to
nothing: 178 grams.  For a Winter Camino I have purchased the lightest down
bag I think will work, the Mountain Hardwear Phantom, at 652 grams.

Using the sleep sack, the only place that was ever a bit cool was in San
Juan de Ortega, the Monastary at the End of the Universe. I put on an extra
shirt or two and was fine. I never carry fleece in the summer, or long pants
for that matter, but an added polar vest would keep you quite toasty.
Walking all day makes for a higher metabolism, you will probably be staying
warmer than you thought you would.

There are currently three kinds of sleep sack materials: cotton (425 grams,
$ 20), coolmax (311 grams, $40) and silk (178 grams, $50). The silk weighs
so little and is extremely compactable, it just costs a little more. I have
used my silk sleep sack through November on the Camino Frances with good
results. Part of temperature adjustment while walking is 'layering' your
clothes. Cold? Put on an extra shirt. The same holds true for sleeping. If
you need a bit more insulation, put on a shirt or two. No problema. There
are blankets in almost all albergues; if you feel you need one, just ask.
The less weight you haul around, the happier you'll be. I've never met a
Peregrino who brags, “Every year I pack heavier”.

There are four places from the Pyrenees to Santiago where the elevation is
great enough to warrant warmer clothing. The Pyrenees: Roncesvalles at an
elevation of 952 meters. The Montes de Oca: San Juan de Ortega at 1040
meters, consistently the coldest place I have slept. The Montes de León:
Astorga at 869 Meters through Molinaseca at 595 Meters, peaking at around
1460 meters. The Cordillera Cantabrica: from Villafranca del Bierzo at 504
meters through Triacastela at 665 meters, peaking at O Cebreiro, 1330
meters.  I have slept in the little albergue in Foncebadón (1439 meters) in
October, and was warm enough.

I get by without a fleece garment, but that’s just me. If you are cold by
nature you may wish to take a light fleece vest. My Patagonia Synchilla Vest
weighs in at 315 grams, but is toasty warm. Avoid anoraks, no-zip and
half-zipped warm-ups. You need to be able to carefully regulate your
temperature. A lack of zippers translates into a lack of ventilation, and
you may easily overheat.

Buen Camino,

Grant

Grant Spangler