[Gocamino] new tours in Santiago

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 06:43:41 PDT 2007

Well… one proposes and fate disposes.  I simply didn’t have enough time to answer all the messages. I am leaving today for the Wagner Festival in Bayreuth, Bavaria, and from there I will go to Vienna to a reunion of Archicofradia members in Austria and Germany.

As you know, the number of pilgrims from Germany has surged, as well as those from Austria.

Like Josephine Baker I have two loves, but mine are the Camino and Richard Wagner… it is quite extraordinary that they will come together in this trip.

And I shall ever be grateful for all those hundreds of masses in Latin that I attended as a child, when sitting between two adults for a long time every week there was nothing to do but to read the Missal Latin’s text and its translation on the facing page.  Over the years and years, such exercise of necessity provided a very comfortable familiarity with Latin which helped immensely in learning other languages, and which today is helping me to learn German, which otherwise would be a mission impossible.

Anyway, I can tell you that INCOLSA, the tourism and information people in Santiago have reacted to the complaints of frustrated pilgrims and other visitors to the city about the dearth of information regarding the hours when churches and convents may be visited.

There are now guided tours. On Wednesdays and Fridays at 11:00 a.m. to the Animas,  San Fiz,  Orfas, Salome, San Miguel, San Agustin and San Martin Pinario churches, and on Thursdays and Saturdays at 10:30 a.m., to the chapels on cloistered convents, which are usually very beautiful and have magnificent works of art.

The tours will be in English and Spanish and will cost 10 Euros (8 Euros for bona fide pilgrims)

(I have taken the Incolsa guided tours to the University buildings and libraries and have been impressed by the erudition and attention of the guides and the hidden treasures in the places visited).

Hugs!
Rosina