[Gocamino] Seeking wisdom...

Mary V. Wallis mvwallis at pathcom.ca
Sat Apr 7 19:39:58 PDT 2007

Hi both and thanks for your query. I was short on time in 1998 and walked
the Camino from Pamplona - it worked out really well and I got to Santiago.
You can get a bus from Madrid to Pamplona and then just make your way to the
refugio there for the night before taking off next day. I wd be a pity to
start in St. Jean but only make it to Astorga or Ponferrada - I suggest you
consider starting further in on the route so you can get to Santiago.

I went 2ce along the Camino frances. Spring is exceedingly pleasant with the
flowers, but also has a higher risk of rain. no big deal, really. August is
hot but dry and I loved it at that time. September, they say, is great and
has a lot fewer pilgrims due to many Spaniards being back to work, so no
worries at all about getting into a refugio for the night.

Options for staying? you're pilgrims! stay in the refugios of course! If
after a few nights you want more privacy or less snoring, there are lots of
little hotels and pensions. But you will miss the pilgrim-ness of the trip,
and you will undoubtedly find the pilgrim company extremely rewarding.

take less than you think you need. you can always buy essentials if you
need. minimize toiletries. you need some all-purpose soap for you, your hair
and your laundry. you need a towel. Take a pair of light water-repellent
sandals for showers or around the refugios or if you just want to air your
feet. forget fashion. forget cosmetics. live light. take a hat with a brim.
plan to leave a lot of your walking duds in Santiago. old t-shirts. I didn't
take shorts - just long lightweight pants to protect legs from the sun and I
cd roll them up if I had to.  don't take jeans - too heavy, they're cold
when it's cold, hot when it's hot, and they take forever to dry.

other thoughts - don't think so much about the plans, money, reservations.
just think about what it means for you to be a pilgrim. Get the Everest
Guide or other one you like. Follow it and don't get hung up on options,
sightseeing, etc. Stay loose. Just keep walking to Santiago, and reflect on
what it is like.

that's all!

Buen Camino!!

Mary Wallis