[Gocamino] "Within the Way Without" DVD

Blaroli@aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sun May 21 15:27:09 PDT 2006

Hi,
I don't know whether the British DVD is Pal or NSTC.  It doesn't specify the
zone, but I just put it on a regular USA DVD player and it plays all right. It
could be that an NTSC version was sent to me because it was coming to New
York City, or it could be a "0" zone one (?) that plays in all systems.
After showing the Brasilian would-be-pilgrim's collection of Camino
postcards, the film  starts out with the Dutch pilgrim on top of the Pyrenees, in the
magnificent fog, calling him   "Winter Pilgrim", then it cuts to the fellow
train-running alongside the canals of what looks a lot like the "red zone" in
Amsterdam.  Then comes the Brasilian in either Rio or Sao Paulo wondering if her
need to go on the Camino signifies incipient madness; and then the Japanese
poet getting her credential in Roncesvalles. (I think that the Brasilian pilgrim
went on the spring and the Japanese one during summer).
As the Brasilian negotiated the Pyrenees she comes across the memorial Cross
built in memory of that Brasilian pilgrim who died up there and was buried in
the snow a couple of Januarys ago.  (You'll remember that his wife and family
searched for him for weeks, until his red backpack was spotted under the snow
by another pilgrim; you'll also remember that after taking her husband's  body
home to Rio his wife came back to complete "his" Camino). The reflections of
the Brasilian pilgrim on the DVD when she comes across her dead compatriot's
memorial stone Cross are unbearably poignant.
I won't tell you anymore about the film, other than to assure you that
regardless of age, gender, religion or  nationality, there will not be a pilgrim who
won't cherish it. Let me tell you that some "martinis-at-six New Yorkers"
friends of mine who couldn't begin to conceive why anyone half rational would
walk hundreds of miles across a foreign country, not sure of where the next bed,
or meal, would be found, (let alone vermouth, vodka and olives) and carrying
all her/his  on her/his back, began training, purchasing backpacks, boots,
etc., after seeing the DVD.

Regards,

Rosina