[Gocamino] Camino to Fisterra

Sue Kenney sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
Fri May 19 18:01:31 PDT 2006

Jeff and other pilgrims,

This has taken a while for me to respond to since I've been preoccupied with
my Camino here at home but I have a story about my journey on this route I
would like to share.

 In April 2004, on my second Camino I finished my journey on the Portuguese
route by walking the triangle from Santiago to Fisterra to Muxia to
Santiago. It was truly an experience. I took 3 days to get to Fisterra and
stayed in the refugio and watched the sunset on the cape. Then I walked to
Muxia in one day. A gorgeous journey along the coast. Once I arrived in
Muxia, I stopped on the beach, took my shoes, socks and all the tape I had
on my blisters and walked into the ocean thinking the sale water would heal
my feet.They call this area the Costa del Morte (Coast of Death) because of
the rugged coast line and fierce waves. I could hardly hold myself up
because the waves tried to know me over. The salt stung as it entered the
pin holes that I had made in my blisters to remove the fluid. I stood there
for a few minutes and soon I felt a pain on the side of my heel. I looked at
it to find the sand from the bottom of the sea had made it's way through the
tiny pin holes and had filled up the open area under my blister/skin with
sand. I looked on the bottom of my feet and was horrified to find the same
thing had happened to the blisters on the balls of my feet. It was
incredibly painful. I got out of the water and tried to open the skin to
release the sand with a needle, but it was almost impossible.

With some help from other pilgrims, I walked in bare feet, since I couldn't
get my boots back on, to the top of the hill, across the town to the
gymnasium, where the pilgrims sleep. There was a basketball game in play so
we had to wait until it was over to set up a sleeping area on the floor
mats. I spent over an hour in the bathroom soaking my feet. I thought my
journey was over and I would have to take a bus to Santiago to the hospital
the next day to have the blisters lanced.

The next morning I woke up and although my feet didn't hurt, the sand lodged
under the skin looked horribly painful. I didn't know what to do since the
other pilgrims were heading back to Santiago by bus and I would be walking
alone on a route where few people travelled. I went for a coffee with a
Spanish pilgrim named Carlos who told me something that made my mind up for
me. He told me that this route I had taken was called the Triangle. He said
when you are walking the triangle, you are in the "Eye of God".  That was
what I needed to hear to make up my mind and I walked back to Santiago
without any problems with my feet. It was one of the most memorable walks
but very tricky to find the way. Not many arrows and if I recall, they are
in the other direction (from Santiago to Muxia). Somehow I found my way
back.The sand eventually forced it's way out of the blisters over the next
month.

Be sure to visit the church built on the cliff over the ocean in Muxia.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Buen Camino
Sue