[Gocamino] May 13, San Francisco, Morning

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Sat May 13 08:24:21 PDT 2006

Greetings, Eileen, et al,

I have just returned from St. Jean Pied de Port where I went with the same
sisters I originally walked from in 1999. I read Eileen's post with great
interest and empathy, and imagined her as she described herself, there in a
place like St. Jean, ready to tackle the journey ad herself.

St. Jean was lovely and it is perfect walking temperature.  I was in Basque
country with my sisters (many of them) for a Mother's Day reunion in St.
Jean de Luz and San Sebastian where it rained most of the time.  It is now
glorious and as we walked the rue de Citadelle and stopped at the Pilgrim
Office, our reminiscences came tumbling out, mostly for the benefit of a
fifth, witnessing sister, yet mostly for each, individually.  It seemed in
1999 there weren't nearly as many trinket shops there, before the church and
the bridge, and definitely not as many rooms for rent for pellerin.
I stopped and wrote a note for sister number 6 who will be there in a few
days on her way, walking  to Santiago....

There are three hosts in the office and a scale now, to weigh your back pack
and to provide any information you could possibly want, including charts of
how the number of pilgrims have increased substantially. No Madame debril,
but there is still questions to answer and to pass muster...I didn't pass as
I wasn't walking that day, and so was denied a credential.

However, leaving all that behind and starting up the trek along the narrow
road ad the GR 65 red and white stripes, the whole world of pilgrimage came
back to all of us.  We only walked a little ways, and then drove up to
Orisson, remembering where we had stopped to wet down our heads (carried too
much) and where we were offered crackers or water, and how we met the
pilgrims with socks pinned to their packs and where we stopped to savor the
incredible view.  The youngest of us four pilgrims kept saying it seemed so
much harder, so much steeper then...but now we were in a car....

We passed several pilgrims, waving and smiling and couldn't help noticing
how hard they worked and how happy they were...stopped at Huntto and
remembered how we were the same...tired, in the moment, pensive, glowing...

Turning around about 6 kms up the road with no side, there it hit...the
glory of the human striving to do what so many have done before and what we
challenged ourselves to also do...to go beyond our comfort zones and to
reach for something higher and beyond us.

I say "us" because it was "us"...sisters, pilgrims, friends, strangers at
times....and the road IS steep and the way sometimes difficult, but taken at
one's own pace, open to outcomes, doable.

To all getting ready, a big hug and a thumbs up!   What a trip....