[Gocamino] Message from Coelho

Blaroli@aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Fri Mar 31 11:30:22 PST 2006

Hello you all,
On August 19, 2001, Paulo Coelho addressed the incessant criticism of his
Camino book with the following message (herein translated into English)  which
was radioed and sent to a ListServ":

"Good evening. My Spanish is not very good, but I will try.
I have read many references to my book, "El Peregrino de Compostela, a
magician's diary", in this LISTSERV which I joined two days ago, and I wish to
answer some questions which need a reply:
1. I went on the Camino during July and August of 1986 pursuing a personal
goal.
2. My book on the Camino utilizes several metaphors, but its substance is
real.
3. When they say that I used a car, it is in conceivable that alb ergue
keepers can remember all pilgrims.  At the time that I went on the Camino there
were few pilgrims and very few albergues. But even  if there had been more
albergues I was completely unknown at a time and there would have been no reason for
anyone to pay particular attention to me.
I did not sleep in any albergue. I always used hotels. In fact, I did not
even know about albergues because the guide that I used did not mention them.  It
should also be remembered that when I went on the Camino I hardly knew
anything about it: there was almost no Camino literature, no Internet, etc.
4. I have returned to the Camino many times to tape doc umentariesd.  I owe
much to the Camino and will always do whatever I can to promote it. (I will be
taping a documentary for Japanese TV on September 23 to 29).
5. It was never my intention to write a Camino Guide. I think that the one
published by Everest is very good. My intention was to share an experience. I
did not imagine that so many people would be interested in the Camino. I wrote
the book for myself and my friends, and it was my first book.,
6. Finally, I did not walk the entire Camino. I only got to O Cebreiro, as
stated in the book.  It is very curious that the most popular book on the theme
of the Santiago pilgrimage was written by a pilgrim that did not go all the
way to Santiago.

Well, if there is anything else that I may clarify, please send me a message.
I will be traveling on the 21st. but I would like to share, with honesty and
respect, some of my experience.
Thank you.
Paulo Coelho"

The provenance address of the message was : autor at paulocoelho.com

At the time, I sent him two messages, in Portuguese, which were answered
graciously and answered the questions asked.

I, personally, did not like the book.  Except for the classics, I haven't
read a book of fiction, or quasi-fiction, for more than a quarter of a century.
The magician things in Coelho's book turned me off and I discarded it after
perusing the first few pages.
In 2004,  in commemoration of the Xacobean  Holy Year,  the Galician
powers-that-be issued an artsy edition of Coelho's book chock-full-of gorgeous
pictures and accompanied  by a DVD of the Camino narrated by Coelho himself.  The
large book is very handsome and the DVD very nice.  As a promotion. the DVD and
book were being sold for only 30 Euros; I understand that the author donated
his services for the DVD, and all the profits from the special edition went  to
Camino support services.

Regards,

Rosina