[Gocamino] hiking sticks/poles

norasls1@aol.com norasls1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 15:58:16 PST 2006

I use electrical tape and tape mine to a backpack or suitcase (usually soft-sided) depending on the situation.  I used to carry by son's Little Leage bag which was long enough for the collapsed poles but just like him, the bag got too old.  It is frayed now.  (Glad to report that he's in better condition.)

I make it a point to wrap many layers of tape around the tips so no one handling the bag gets hurt.  The rubber tips were lost long ago.  The poles usually extend beyond the pack or suitcase but manage to arrive safely.  I use LOTS of tape.  I think most of the time they look at the bag for security reasons but manage to get the poles back on and everything arrives just fine.
For what it is worth, i have fewer problems w/ my knees now than a dozen years ago.  I love my poles.

Who knew a question about poles would stoke so many messages?

I walked the camino in 2004.  I am THRILLED to say that my husband, son, granddaughter and I are walking the Portuguese route this June/July.  I am so blessed.

Nora Everlove,
Florida