[Gocamino] hiking sticks/poles

Patricia Rush PatRush1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 30 13:53:40 PST 2006

Dear All--I will weigh in on walking sticks.  I use two collapsible hiking
sticks; they've saved my knees going up, and especially, coming down
mountains, over slippery rocks, and in propelling me forward.  I use them as
one would use cross-country ski poles; they are especially useful when
carrying a pack because they help balance.  They take some getting used to,
but now I won't walk without them.

Before 9/11 I simply stuck them (collapsed) on either side of my pack and
put my pack in the overhead.  Now, I either have my pack wrapped and sent
through as checked luggage, or put my sticks in a separate mailing tube and
sent through as checked luggage.  The airport in Santiago has a wrapping
machine for 4 euro, I think, and other airports have them as well.

Patricia