[Gocamino] hiking sticks/poles

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 19:39:28 PST 2006

Dear Ones:
  The final chapter of my own walking stick was in Santiago. I shlepped that hi-tech telescoping spring-loaded doodad from Toledo (in Ohio!) to Spain and across the camino... I left it behind at least a couple of times and had to backtrack for it, but I'd invested $$ in it, and then got attached to it. It gained a bit of an angle after USAir luggage handlers got to it, I used to to help herd some sheep on the Meseta (they flow just like water, sheep) and it required a lot of very bad Spanish to reclaim it at a Leon fleabag hotel (I think I left the poor desk-man with the impression I had "entertained gentlemen" the night before!) but when I finally made it to Santiago de Compostela, I... well.
  I left it in a taxi cab.

  So was my Zen lesson taught about attachment to things of this world! I only  hope some elderly or handicapped person made good use of it, as it served me so well and still had much good use left.
  Silly old capitalist.
  Reb.

Rebekah Scott, periodista
Westmoreland County bureau