[Gocamino] accommodation question

Hathor821@aol.com Hathor821 at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 08:08:36 PDT 2006

It is easier than this.

It depends on who needs direction.  If you are a woman, go to the  nearest
bar, market or whatever and ask for 'horario de buses y donde se toma el  bus'.
Now, if you are a man, you would probably go the the 'oficina de  turismo,'
ask for a map and figure out where the bus stop is or even more  complicated, go
to the 'oficina' and ask for the schedule and figure it out by  yourself.  I
am glad I am a woman!

But be aware of this. In Santo Domingo de la Calzada we waited for 3  hours
for a bus that never showed up to take us, one lazy and horrible Labor Day  in
Spain of this year, to Zcariz (or something that sounds like it). You see, if
it is Holiday in Spain, don't trust public transportation and almost every
week  you will discover that somewhere, someone is celebrating the birth,
martyrdom or  death of a saint in Spain, which means you will find many surprises
other than  the usual 'cerrado' of siesta time.  On a Sunday, WALK...all of
Spain 'esta  cerrado' meaning 'closed.'

Spain is crowded with little bars and even more so in any 'camino'  route.
Stop by, befriend the bar tender and learn about the city, be  curious about
what their opinions are about us, the Americans and be  as if  nobody is
watching, be yourself.  I remember with fond memories the distant  sound of latin
music sang by a guy  in perfect Spanish without any traces  of any accent;
assuming he spoke Spanish I approached him and began to talk with  him to soon
realize he is from New Zealand and the only Spanish he knew was  the one in his
melodies, my next step was to dance...as if nobody was watching,  but of course,
a group of Italians and Germans were enjoying the spectacle but  were too shy
to join me.

Fond memories of a life where the word 'stress' didn't even exist: no  tv, no
news, no newspaper, no sons, no mobile, no traffic, no job, no  cars.  If
half the world would have been swept away by a huge psunami, we  wouldn't have
even knew it. It was sort of the life of a five year old kid in  today's
America, who has the vague idea of things but is in no rush to learn  about them,
playing time is more fun.

By the way, my friend and I are in the process of writing a book about  our
camino experience.  Of course, it will be a fun book to read, unlike  any other
book ever written, or so I think.

Patricia de Miami y el camino.