[Gocamino] la flecha o los pies

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 06:03:39 PDT 2006

I received this e-mail from Peter Robbins and Ivar at Santiago-Today:

"Calm down, Kathy, you are missing the point! You and I may prefer that the
tourist industry kept out of pilgrimage, but we cannot escape the fact that
the Camino is very important both for the city of Santiago and for Galicia
as a whole. Galicia remains one of the poorer parts of W Europe, and the
Xunta calls the Camino the 'launching-pad' for its tourism industry. Some of
this tourism spending, such as the many albergues the Xunta has put up in
recent years, is of use to pilgrims. However, the number of visitors to both
city and region who arrive by plane/car/coach/train far outnumbers the
number who arrive on foot or bike, and these are the people the tourist
brochures and any logo are aimed at. I am sure that the Church will reckon
that some of them will be inspired to investigate pilgrimage further, and of
those some will join the Church. However, those on foot to Santiago can
continue to ignore the tourist bumph if they wish. As I wrote in another
post, part of the Xacobeo spending will be put into improving marking in
Galicia, in part by putting up bronze scallop shells, so far from
disappearing, the amount of shells/yellow arrows should increase."

Not sure how to proceed....