[Gocamino] la flecha o los pies

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 22:09:45 PDT 2006

The whole Madison Avenue image-maker Pies del Peregrino hype is most
disconcerting. What the good Padre Valinha did is the pure essence of the
Camino. It is the lowest common denominator. All function, no flash. Like
our packs. There's nothing left to throw out. The footprints are, in the
long-term, not very functional. We've all seen la flecha amarilla slapped on
the trunk of an ancient tree, a tumbled down building, on roadside rocks.
Anybody can paint one of those high-visibilty arrows anywhere. No skill
required, just a can of paint and a brush. Universally obvious which way to
Santiago. Enter the new improved model. Very stylized, a low visibility
color scheme, and subject to misinterpretation after a bit of weathering.
Also needs to be a stencil application or actual steel signage. Street
signs! Perhaps pilgrim traffic signals next?

Bad idea. No funcione. Mission One in any project: it has to work. It has to
be easy to install, easy to maintain, and easy to use. Fails on all counts.
Sorry, this one needs the Pilgrim Community to intervene.

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com
http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago