[Gocamino] via de la plata in march, april

blaroli@aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 11:56:52 PDT 2006

Hi Daniel,
 I should think that March and April would offer ideal climatic conditions for walking the Via de la Plata,... and yet:
I walked it two summers ago during July and August.  It was terribly hot after twelve noon and before six p.m... but there was daylight until nine p.m. or so, and no pilgrims that I saw had to rush to get into an albergue early to find a berth. (I read that last month, and this one, pilgrims are lining up outside the albergues on the French Camino at 11:00 a.m.! and even so, many municipalities have been compelled to prepare tents in the sports arenas and public areas for pilgrims.  These problems do not exist on the Via de la Plata.... quite the opposite).
At any rate, while Zamora and Merida were unbearably hot in mid-day, they, and the routes, were quite pleasant early in the morning and in late afternoon.  It came as a heck of a surprise that arriving in lovely Salamanca the first week of August, I was forced to get a sweater and a couple of heavy sweatshirts, with hoods, because it was actually cold in the morning and evening, and so it remained all the way to Ourense and through Rio Ulla into Santiago.  I just loved it!  Furthermore, it only rained, and not much, in the short segment between Ponte Ulla and Santiago.
The Via de la Plata is such a treasure trove of wonders that I don't think it matters in the least when one goes. I expect that one would hardly notice, or care about, the weather and such.
Warm regards,
Rosina