[Gocamino] Zamora

Jim Allen jallen08 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 09:55:38 PST 2006

Hola All;
In August 2001 my wife and I were going to a wedding in Los Arcos on the Camino.  We left Madrid and travelled via Avila, Salamanca, Zamora to Santiago then reversed the Camino to Los Arcos.
We found ourselves in Salamanca on Saturday eve in the middle of three weddings exiting the beautiful churches.  The city was full so we moved north to Zamora.  A friendly policeman took us to the Melia hotel.  No rooms.  The young lady at the reception desk called around and we learned the Spanish words, "por completo."  Then she had a thought and picked up the phone one more time.  She mentioned that there was a hotel about 5 miles away that had one room.  She said it was "nice."  We would like it.  Of course we took it and thanked the lady profusely.  It was called Convento I or II.  Nice doesn't do it justice.  It was fairly new but looked out of King Arthur.  The music was Gregorian Chant.  The dining area was incredible.  My wife was disturbed by the smoking so they put us in a small room by ourselves and treated us great.  It was 5 star and cost $90.00 for the night.  I know that I took too many pictures but...................we will never forget that hotel.

Jim Allen, Seminole, Florida