[Gocamino] Timetable of pilgrims; support 2

Blaroli@aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 12:13:45 PDT 2006

In the city of Santiago, continued:

The Seminario Menor de Belvis (Minor Seminary),  a pilgrims' albergue from
8:00 to 24:00 seven days a week.

The Pilgrims' office, at No. 1 Vilar street, to profer Compostelas,
Certificates, advise and information from 9:00 to 21:00 seven days a weeki.

At the Cathedral a group of volunteers is in constant attendance tohelp
maintain order and silence and to guide pilgrims and offer information regarding
the crypt, the hug to the imago of the Apostle above the altar, the portico de
Gloria and other significant points of art and history in the church.

The personnel at the Xacobean Library of the Cathedral's Archives are
available to  assist pilgrims interested in historical documents related to the
Camino.

The social office of the Archicofradia Universal del Apostol Santiago (The
Universal Archconfraternity) is open daily to its members and to those who may
seek in formation on becoming members.  The office is located on Quintana
Square, next to the Puerta del Perdon (the one who opens only during Xacobean Holy
Years).
During the year ended October, 2005, there were 145 new members admitted to
the Archconfraternity; of these, 24 were from North America:  23 from Mexico
and one from the United States (me!), alas none from Canada.
During the same period, there were 23 Medal recipients, 2 of which were from
the United States.

Two new confraternities were created and joined the Archconfraternity on the
occassion of Saint James Day, July 25th., one from Argentina (their seventh, I
think,) and one from Seville.

The magazine contains some fascinating articles, including one about the
etimological-historical meaning of the word Compostela  (it is not "field of
stars", as commonly believed); if I can condense the article I'll post it here.

Regards,

Rosina