[Gocamino] Re: [Santiagobis] Re: The Turista Two-Step

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 25 07:44:26 PDT 2005

I guess that I have to throw in my 2 cents here.  A couple of years ago, when I decided to walk the Camino, one of the questions I had was about water quality.  My friends and relatives wanted me to take antibiotics with me!  The reply I got from the GOCAMINO listserve was that Spain is not a third world country, don't worry about it.  That is what I found to be true.  If it was a temporary change in water quality, a lot of the "natives" would also get ill, since they were used to normal EU standard water, wouldn't they?.   I walked in May and when I got to the albergue the stage before Carrion, Fromista that is, their dining area did not have a real kitchen...we washed the dishes outside in cold water with whatever soap happened to be there.  I remember thinking about that, and wondering if I would suffer some discomfort later...(I did not).  I wonder how many of the sick people in recent accounts ate off the dishes at Fromista?
In reality there are so many opportunities on the Camino to pick up a bug due to questionable cleanliness and hygene.  I like the idea of being proactive with some natural substance like cranberry juice.  I don't remember seeing it along the way.  What is it called in Spanish?  Do you think that cranberry extract in pill or capsule form would be just as effective?
Glenn