[Gocamino] Re: [saintjames] Albergue fees?

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Mon Sep 12 08:50:45 PDT 2005

Hello you all,
Verena (who, like e.e. cummings,  eschews the use of capital letters) wrote,
in the Saint James list, a message regarding her experiences with true, and
non-true, pilgrims over her four caimans.
The last paragraph  of her message reads:
 "which is the most beautiful albergue in the opinion of you guys? Has
anybody been to boadilla del camino, just before fromista? enjoyed the nice food in
the own restaurant, very friendly owners and the lively garden with the tidy
lawn and the pool:-) and all this for only 5 euros!"

I don't know about being the most beautiful, but, to me, at least, the most
memorable albergue is the one in Viana. The hauntingly beautiful hilltop
medieval town  lies a few kilometers before Longrono.; it was founded in 1219 by
Sancho VII, "the Strong" and walled as a bastion in such a manner that it
successfully resisted assaults and sieges over centuries.  The building wherein the
albergue is housed dates back to the foundation of the city; its walls are
about one meter thick and its coil stairways are a marvel. One can still see the
niches which, covered by straw,  served as resting places for ancient pilgrims,
and the brazier holes in the floor that were used to warm them.  Next to the
albergue lie the ruins of what must have been a magnificent church; the ruins
are more beautifully phantasmagoric and imposing than those of San Anton.
Behind the Viana albergue lies a large terraced area from which one can see the
vale below and transcend the centuries.  The images of columns of galloping
horsemen soldiers, with the plumes in their hats and their crimson capes flying
in the wind, can be seen in the distance.... without their really being there.
And the echoes of their horses'  hoofs  clap softly through the night  in the
dreamy ascending and descending cobbled streets inside the walls.
I get the impression that, comparatively,  not too many pilgrims pass through
Viana; at least that is what the hospitaleros told me.  And, indeed, most of
the town enraptured visitors appear to be tourists,  particularly Italian
tourists.
Viana is reminiscent of lovely Assisi,  as is, in a smaller scale,
Castrogeriz.  When the Borgia Pope, Alexander VI, who was originally from Spain,  died,
 his soldier son Cesare retired to Viana and, eventually, was killed in a
battle defending the town.  He is buried in the town.
The Viana albergue in a massive, silent, solemn, almost unconscious manner
seems to reveal the town's history. Last winter,  around the Santiago Cathedral
after midnight, on a rainy  night tinged with white and pink hues, walking
alone and listening to the enveloping cloud of muted voices left behind by the
pilgrims of centuries past,  I recognized   that Viana has the same magic.
I would urge Camino Frances  pilgrims  to make a stop in Viana;. the few
kilometers to the busy city of Longrono form a  lovely downhill walk that doesn't
take long at all.
Big hug!
Rosina