[Gocamino] Galicia Albergues & tourists

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 08:14:36 PDT 2005

I have to agree that the albergues in Galicia were not up to the standards
of the other areas, with the exception of the ones on the way to Finisterra.
Negreira the person in charge lived nearby (next to or across the street I
believe) and was a very caring person.  The one in Olveiroa was very nice
especially for such an out of the way place...the caretakers made a nice
meal for us. They did a good job in Finisterra also...in my humble opinion.

The only place that really troubled me was Palas del Rey.  It was total
chaos there.  What is the story of that town?  It seemed like many American
towns that have lost a sense of itself.  It seems so unlike the other
stopping points on the Camino.  It is the only place I was happy to leave.

In Ponferrada, a large group of pilgrims were queued outside the albergue
waiting for it to open when a bus load of German "pilgrims" arrived.  The
leader went to the head of the line with a passenger list.  Everyone sitting
down by the building just starred at the person.  I thought that if that bus
would unload there might be a very unpilgrim like encounter between the two
groups.  When the lady with the key to the building arrived, she did turn
the bus people  away thereby avoiding a confrontation.-

Glenn